Shopping the Farmers Market: Why Blog

After years of frequenting the farmers markets in NYC, but only buying a few supplemental ingredients here or there, I decided to be experimental and work dishes around what is in season or looks particularly mouthwatering at the market that day. Green seems to be the buzz word these days from NYC to the White House, and the eat local movement is in full swing. My attempt here is to buy as many ingredients as possible from a the farmers market, and then occasionally supplement with locally produced ingredients from chain markets around the city. Most of the recipes I post (except for the baking recipes) are either things I created myself, or variations on recipes I've found elsewhere. I hope that you take the recipes and shopping tips here and they inspire you to do your own local cooking.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Holiday Markets

No recipe today. I'm on a holiday hiatus for the next week. I know that the holidays are often the time for the most cooking, but all I ever seem to be doing during this time of the year is traveling. I may try to make a cranberry dish while up in Massachusetts since they're in season up there, and they're definitely my favorite late fall fruit.

I had the intention of cooking yesterday, but then I went for a 5 mile run yesterday morning, and for some reason, I was exhausted for the rest of the day. I did manage to stop by the Union Square farmers market, but I only picked up a spaghetti squash that I didn't get around to cooking this weekend. Perhaps tomorrow. There was a beautiful selection of squash there, as well as bushels of Bartlet Pears that had me thinking of a tart for a future occasion.



I was actually distracted from the farmers market by the holiday bazaar in Union Square. Every year vendors sell their wares as gifts for the holidays. It can be very crowded and touristy, but the variety of shops is quite interesting, and you never know what you might find. This year there seemed to be everything from candles and purses, to scarves and plush bathrobes. There was even a whole stand for alpaca hats! All you need is a bottle of vodka and you'll be ready to ring in the new year eastern block style.







Happy Thanksgiving, and I wish you all delicious holiday meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment